The members of Edmond Democratic Women (EDW) are committed to preventing future violence in America’s schools. EDW supports the “Call for Action to Prevent Gun Violence in the United States of America” (in PDF link below). The members join their voices with the authors of this document to recommend policymakers take a public health approach to protecting children and adults from gun violence. This approach includes three levels of prevention:
- Universal approaches promoting safety and well-being for everyone;
- Practices for reducing risk and promoting protective factors for persons experiencing difficulties; and
- Interventions for individuals where violence is present or appears
EDW believes Oklahoma legislators should promptly draft legislation that addresses these priority items:
- Require all schools to assess school climate and maintain physically and emotionally safe conditions and positive school environments that protect all students and adults from bullying, discrimination, harassment and
- Pass a ban on assault-style weapons, high-capacity ammunition clips, and products that modify semi-automatic firearms to enable them to function like automatic
As you review the attached Call to Action you will note that this is just the beginning, but it is a very holistic approach to finding a cure for the epidemic of violence spreading through our schools and our communities. PLEASE consider these well-researched suggestions to make Oklahoma a safer place to live and raise a family.