When Edmond Democratic Women was formed much time was spent in identifying common values and beliefs that could lead our discussions and advocacy efforts. The results of this effort, which incorporated feedback from all our members, are shared on page 2 of this document. In light of those items, we have identified the following areas of focus on the State and Federal levels. We will be sharing specific information on pieces of legislation as they become available.
- Equality for all – we support the passage of the equal rights amendment. SJR25 was not heard in committee, but according to the Oklahoma Women’s Coalition, Senator Kay Floyd is looking for a way to keep this issue alive.
- Safe and civil society – we support legislation that would enhance gun safety in Oklahoma and are opposed to legislation that would threaten our safety; we support the creation of red flag laws; we support legislation that will protect women (and men) from domestic violence; we support creating special public safety training for those responsible for finding missing and murdered indigenous people; we support increasing “trauma-informed care” for school counselors, public safety workers and others who could need to provide support from those children with ACE.
- Affordable and available healthcare – we support women’s (and men’s) access to community healthcare facilities, such as Planned Parenthood, and will oppose efforts to cut funding to these entities; we support paid family and medical leave for all; we support the expansion of Medicaid through passage of SQ802
- Economic opportunities – we support legislation that will require equal pay for women for in same positions as men; we support an increase in the minimum wage; we support COLA adjustments for Oklahoma workers.
- Quality public education – we support increased funding in the classroom to equal or exceed the level in other states in our region; we support continual increase in teachers’ salaries to a level that will attract the best and the brightest to these positions; we support funding to increase the number of counselors in the public school system to support the many challenges our children are experiencing.
- Safe, clean environment – we support legislation that would increase alternative energy sources for Oklahomans; we support legislation that would “incentivize” municipalities and businesses to decrease the use of materials that are harmful to our environment (such as plastic bags).
- Transparent civil administration: we support legislation and gubernatorial appointments that prioritize effective and professional services delivery to taxpayers.
The Edmond Democratic Women believe In the equality of all people, regardless of race, color, sexual orientation, gender expressions, religion or nationality;
We believe all citizens should be able to live in a safe and civil society and we have an obligation to do what we can to ensure that for future generations;
We believe that a responsible government that represents the citizens and is responsive to their needs is the proper place to generate and exemplify the social, economic and environmental values that are necessary for a strong society and a better world; and
We believe that ALL should have access to:
- Economic opportunities that provide, at a minimum, livable wages;
- Quality public education that prepare individuals to succeed in careers of their choice;
- A safe, clean environment; and,
- Affordable healthcare and, more specifically, the availability of resources for women that will help them make informed and safe choices in the care of their own bodies.
The mission of the Edmond Democratic Women club is to make positive change in the community, the state and the country by leveraging our collective strengths. We will do this by:
- Providing a positive and unified voice from a group of concerned and caring women, educated on the issues;
- Promoting the values of the Democratic Party and supporting those individuals who will represent those values in elected office in our community, our state and at the federal level;
- Providing the support for one another that is needed in this uncertain world.